domingo, 10 de mayo de 2009

Sesudas reflexiones filosóficas

Trece páginas de ellas aquí en la web de Larry Wasserman.


Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're an astronaught on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."

***

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

***

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.

***

Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.

***

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

***

The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me. I remember we'd all pile into the car - I forget what kind it was - and drive and drive. I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there. The smell of something was strong in the air as we played whatever sport we played. I remember a bigger, older guy we called "Dad." We'd eat some stuff, or not, and then I think we went home. I guess some things never leave you.

***

As we were driving, we saw a sign that said "Watch for Rocks." Marta said it should read "Watch for Pretty Rocks." I told her she should write in her suggestion to the highway department, but she started saying it was a joke -just to get out of writing a simple letter! And I thought I was lazy!

***

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.

***

I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.


Me encantan:
-la facilidad con que evoca un contexto usando las connotaciones de discurso asociadas a una o dos palabras, y
-la fingida candidez con que presenta estructuras lógicas patentemente absurdas.

Son dos cosas que yo intento, pero de donde no hay no se puede sacar.

2 comentarios:

PrincessDina dijo...

Me encantan, sobre todo:

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind."

:)

Pedro Terán dijo...

Es que esa es buenísima, señora presidente.